Each of our hosts watched the broadcast of President Biden’s speech in Philadelphia on 9/1/2022. Read the President’s full remarks per the White House website here. Read Sherrye Henry’s response below.
Everything about President Biden’s speech last night was right on target:
- The venue: in front of Independence Hall where our democracy was born.
- The language: “Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent an extremism that threatens the very foundations of our republic.”
- His opinion of the roaring protesters: “Good manners is nothing they ever suffered from.”
- The connection with voters’ concerns: A new Quinnipiac Poll shows a rare bipartisan consensus: Both parties think “the nation’s democracy is in danger of collapse.” 67% of Democrats agree … and 69% of Republicans agree.
- The direction Ultra-MAGA Republicans will take this country: “Backwards where there is no right to choose, no right to privacy, no right to contraception, no right to marry who you love.”
And Biden’s simple solution: “Vote. Vote. Vote.”
For Americans who love their country, the way forward is clear. Now we must act on it.
Sherrye Henry was the first woman in America to broadcast television editorials and became the host of “Woman!” for WCBS-TV. For 16 years, she hosted the “Sherrye Henry Program” on WOR Radio, a daily talk show that tackled the major political issues of the day. After running for the NY State Senate (and losing) in 1992, she conducted research on why women are reluctant to vote for women candidates and published the book “The Deep Divide: Why American Women Resist Equality” (MacMillan, 1994).
Featured image source: National Park Service